- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 2 slices provolone cheese, (about 2 ounces), halved
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini, (optional)
- Place onion rings in a small bowl and add cold water to cover. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Combine artichoke hearts, tomato, vinegar, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side. Drain the onions and pat dry.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide provolone among the bottom pieces of baguette. Spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini, if using. Cover with the baguette tops. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 264 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 8 g fiber; 624 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.